Friday, June 26, 2009

America the Beautiful!!




On Thursday, we went on our first official outing. We went to Glacier National Park. The girls were not very excited about the 3.5 hour drive. (I don't think they have forgiven us for the 3 day drive here yet.)



Anyway, we left early for St Mary, Mt. As usual, Bart wanted to stop at ALL the historical markers along the way, but I convinced him that we lived here now and he could view them at his leisure now. The drive was fun. When we went through the mountain passes, I wasn't sure who to watch more; Bart or the girls. The girls were having fun pretending to be on a roller coaster when we went down the pass. Bart was white knuckled and holding the steering wheel. Apparently he chose not to listen to me regarding the 6% & 7% downhill grade. (For those of you who are not familiar with what that means, lets just say the roller coaster analogy is very accurate.) You see, when we lived in Denver, I had the privilege/stupidity to experience Wolf Creek Pass in DECEMBER. (Second gear became my best friend.) I offered him the information, but I think he thought that since it was summer, there wouldn't be a problem.



Well, we arrived in one piece. After paying admission, we proceeded to stop for a picnic. The girls were a little worried about bears. We tried to reassure them and it was working. Until we got to the picnic table. There plastered very largely on the table was a warning about bears. They settled and we enjoyed an almost idyllic picnic lunch. It was kind of like Yogi bear meets Gone with the Wind. The wind gusts were probably around 40+ mph. We literally had to hold our sandwich and drinks so they wouldn't blow away.









After lunch, we proceeded into the park. We chose to drive the "Going to the Sun Road" I will tell you that I have never seen anything more beautiful in nature than I did on that drive. I finally found the cable to the camera, so I will get to show you what I mean. (YEAH!!)

This is a view of Wild Goose Island (St Mary Lake) with Jackson Glacier in the background. For those of you familiar with The Shining (Jack Nicholson), this was in the beginning of the moving.

(I have an album I will be emailing out with about 19 pictures. I didn't want to put them all on here. Too many. If you don't get your email and you are interested, let me know.)
Our day ended with a shorter drive then we had hoped for. The Going to the Sun road was not fully open, but we plan on returning very soon.
I will say that the drive home was less eventful. Bart decided to heed my instructions regarding the downhill grades. Alert the media!! A man took driving advice from a woman!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment